Frequently Asked Questions


How much will it cost?

All surveys are quoted and prices are based on each individual property that is being inspected.


How long before I get my report?

Standard lead times do vary depending on how busy the Surveyor is, however it is usually 5-7 working days from the date of Inspection before you receive a copy of the Report.  Timescales will be indicated on quotation.


Will the Surveyor contact us to discuss the Report?

                                                                      The Surveyor will always call you following the site visit to discuss any findings.


How quickly can you inspect the property?

You will be advised upon instruction as this can vary.


When do I need to pay for my report?

All payments are requested upon receipt of your Report and invoice and not prior to the survey being carried out.




Helpful Terminology


When purchasing a home or when reading a surveyor’s report there may be words used of a technical nature upon which clarification is required.


Airbrick - Ventilated brick allowing airflow to cavities or sub floor voids.


Barge board - Fascia to a gable end.


Belldrip - Flared section at bottom of a rendered wall which allows rainwater to drip off slightly away from the base of the main walls.


Cavity wall - Outer and inner brick or blockwork skins with a space in between, the two skins connected at intervals with metal wall ties.


Ceiling joist - Structural member usually laid horizontally which supports the ceiling and/or floor above.


Damp proof course (DPC) - A damp proof course is a horizontal layer of impervious material incorporated into the walls near ground level so as to prevent ground moisture from rising into the brickwork.


Damp proof membrane (DPM) - A horizontal usually plastic layer built into solid concrete floors to prevent ground moisture rising up into the property.


Downpipe - Vertical pipe usually taking surface water drain from roofs to surface water drainage.


Eaves - The rafter ends where they overhang the main walls.


Fascia - Finishing detail to the front face of the rafter ends - often the gutters are fixed to fascias.


Flashing - Weatherproofing detail, (normally in lead) between two abutments, for example a chimney and pitched roof or a lean-to roof and a vertical wall.


Floor joists - Structural members supporting the floors above and often ceilings below.


Flying Freehold - Situation where one property ownership is above another.


Foul drain - Below ground drain taking away foul waste from the property to the main sewer or septic tank/cesspit.


Foundation - Solid construction below the ground to support the main walls of the property.


Gable upstand - Wall on a gable end that extends up above the line of the roof.


Gulley - A gulley is a drain for surface or foul water incorporating a trap to catch debris in order that it can be easily cleaned out.


Hipped roof - A roof with four pitches – front to back and side to side. A cropped hip is where the side to side pitch is smaller than the front to back.


Hip tile - Tile provided at the junction between the hip and the roof pitch.


Hopper head - Used to catch usually surface water where two or more pipes converge on one.


Inspection chamber - Access to the drains for the purposes of rodding them through and clearing any blockages.


Lining Felt/Underfelt - Felt lining that is provided over roof structure but under roof tiles or slates to catch any water that may be blown under the main roof covering.


Purlin - Structural horizontal roof member which supports rafters usually at their mid point.


Rafter - Structural member supporting main roof.


Roof plate/ Wall plate - Timber plate that sits on top of wall and provides the fixing junction to the wall and the rafter feet.


Soffit - Finishing detail laid underneath the rafter ends between the fascia and the wall of the property. Often ventilated in pitched roofs.


Soil and vent pipe - Foul waste is carried to the drains via this pipe which is usually vented up through the property and well away from window opening.


Solid wall - A wall of solid brickwork usually 9” with no cavity in older property


Surface water drain - Drain taking surface water waste from either drives or roofs usually to soakaways.


Trussed Rafters - Manufactured off site these structural roofing trusses are nailed together with plates at their junctions and are supplied to site already made up.


Valley - Junction between two roof pitches.


Valley gutter - Gutter formed between two sections of pitched roof.


Print Print | Sitemap
© Friend Associates